10 Father’s Day Facts & Trivia
Image Credit: Steven Van Loy
Father's Day is celebrated on the third sunday in June each year, and is the day you celebrate fathers and fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society.
Here are 10 facts and pieces of trivia about Father's Day.
- Father’s Day was invented by American Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd whose father had, as a single parent raised his six children. The first Father's Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910.
- In spite of the impression you might get from the media, according to the Office of National Statistics, four fifths of children in the UK have a Dad at home - eighty per cent of dependent children live with their father.
- Furthermore acording to the ONS, three per cent of fathers living with dependent children are lone fathers.
- According to greetings card makers Hallmark, Father’s Day is the fifth-largest card-sending holiday of the year.
Image Credit: Amazon.co.uk
- The film Fathers' Day starred Robin Williams and Billy Crystal as two middle aged men who are tricked into finding an ex-girlfriends runaway son when she tells them they are both the father. They have to team up to find the boy and discover who the real father is.The film was a hit due to the big-name cast but was not a critical success.
- Marilyn Monroe famously sung Cole Porter’s ‘My Heart Belongs to Daddy’. She is reputed to have not known who her real father was.
- One of the best-know quotes about fathers was from Mark Twain.He said of his Father ‘When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.’
- The episode of Dr. Who (played by Christopher Eccleston) entitled Father’s Day involved Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) travelling back in time to the day that her father was killed. She steps in to prevent his death causing the inevitable rent in the space/time continuum.
Related: Doctor Who Printables
- More from the Office of National Statistics; in 1971 the average age of a father where the birth occurred inside a married relationship in England and Wales was 27; by 1999 this had increased to 31. These days, fathers are generally three years younger where births occur outside marriage. The average age of the father where the birth occurred outside marriage decreased from 28 to 26 between 1971 and 1991 but had since increased to almost 28 again in 1999.
- In China, Father’s Day is celebrated on on the third Sunday in June now, but it used to be celebrated on 8th August. The reason is a linguistic one; the Chinese for eight is “ba”, while a colloquial word for father is “ba-ba” – therefore the eighth day of the eighth month sounds similar to “papa”.
Father's Day Colouring Pictures - Free Printables!
Free Printable Father's Day Wordsearch
About eParenting: eParenting was started by Jacqui O'Brien in 2004. At the time her kids were 1 and 4 and kept her nice and busy. Now they are teenagers and still keeping her pretty busy!