Trafalgar Day For Kids
Trafalgar Day is celebrated in the UK and other countries of the Commonwealth of Nations on 21st October each year.
It is the celebration of the victory won on 21st October 1805 by the Royal Navy, commanded by Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson over the combined French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar. Nelson famously led from the ship HMS Victory and was killed during the battle.
How if Trafalgar Day Celebrated?
The day was first celebrated in Trafalgar Square on Trafalgar Day, 1896. Trafalgar Day was widely commemorated by parades, dinners and other events throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th century and early 20th century.
It is still widely celebrated in navies of the Commonwealth of Nations. Although it is no longer as widely celebrated, it has had a resurgence of popularity since the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalger in 2005, which was marked with events all around the UK.
The day was celebrated most spectacularly with the International Fleet Review, held in the Solent in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen.
Trafalgar Day Activities
- Trafalgar Day Printables celebrate Trafalgar Day with these printable puzzles - a wordsearch and anagrams.
- Funtrivia Have a go at this short quiz on facts about the Battle of Trafalgar - can you get 1 ou t of ten, or will you be sunk?
More Information On Trafalgar Day
- Wikipedia has an extensive article on the background on and history Lord Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar.
- BBC History has an interesting collection of items about Neson and Trafalger, including an animated Map of the Battle of Trafalgar, a game allowing you to re-fight the battle and some discussion of the historical context of the battle.
- National Archives Didi any of tyour ancesters fight in the Battle of Trafalgar? YOu can find information on everyone who served in the Battle on this website.
- HMS Victory You can visit Nelson's flagship which resides in Situated in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. The website has lots of inforamtion about life in the British Navy at the time of Horatio Nelson.
- Nelson Museum The Nelson Museum is a Georgian merchant's house in Great Yarmouth where you can learn all about Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson's life and the times in which he lived.
Related: Guy Fawkes Night
The 10 Best Animated Family Movies of 2018
Fun & Easy Penguin Mason Jar Craft for Kids
Screen Time Guidelines for Babies, Toddlers, Children and Teens 2018
The 10 Best West End Shows For All The Family
17 Personalised Christmas Decorations To Treasure For Ever
About eParenting: eParenting was started by Jacqui O'Brien in 2004. At the time her kids were 1 and 4 and kept her nice and busy. Now they are teenagers and still keeping her pretty busy!