25 Harry Potter Inspired Baby Names
The Harry Potter books are one of the great literary phenomena of our age. The Harry Potter series of books are the best selling book series of all time - at last count they had sold over 510 million books. Here you can find out more about just what is the appeal of Harry Potter.
So if you are a fan of Harry Potter you might want to give your child a name inspired by the many wonderful characters created by J.K. Rowling. So here are 25 baby names from Harry Potter book characters.
Warning! - Just in case you haven’t read all the books or seen the films, there are spoilers in this article.
Related: Free Harry Potter Printables
Harry Potter Baby Names
- Albus - The legendary Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts and the greatest wizard ever. This is a name that would certainly give your child something to aspire to!
- Arthur - A classic English boys name, it is the name of the Weasley family’s muggle obsessed father and is taken from the king of the ancient Britons.
- Bellatrix - One of the most evil characters in the Harry Potter books, Bellatrix Lestrange was one of Voldemort’s loyallest supporters. The name means female warrior and is a star in the constellation Orion.
- Cedric - Cedric Diggory was a Hufflepuff Seeker and a competitor in the Triwizard Tournament. The name was invented by Sir Walter Scott in his novel Ivanhoe based on Cerdic, the name of a 6th-century Anglo-Saxon king.
- Dolores - The name Dolores mean sadness and Dolores Umbridge was certainly one of the most unpleasant characters in the Harry Potter story
- Draco - Could you name your child after Wizarding bad boy Draco Malfoy? It is a Greek name which means lawgiver.
- Dudley - The spoilt, unpleasant and bratty Dudley Dursley was Harry Potter’s cousin. An old English name which is taken from the place name in the West Midlands of the UK.
- Fleur - The beautiful French competitor in the Triwizard Tournament, Fleur Delacour eventually married Bill Weasley. Fleur is the French for flower.
- Ginny - One of the many members of the Weasly family who eventually marries Harry. In the books the name Ginny is short for Ginevra which is a variation on the name Jennifer.
- Harry - We couldn’t leave Harry himself out of course! Harry is the nickname for someone called either Harold or Henry, but is now used as a given name.
- Hermionie - The clever if rather swotty classmate of Harry’s at Hogwarts, Hermione was the name of a character in Greek Mythology.
- James - The name of Harry’s father, and his own middle name, James is a popular, timeless and traditional name. Hebrew in origin it means ‘supplanter of men’.
- Lily - Harry’s mother’s name is a type of beautiful flower which symbolises innocence, purity and beauty.
- Luna - Another of the students in Harry’s school year at Hogwarts, Luna means moon in Latin.
- Minerva - Professor McGonagall’s first name means wisdom. Minerva was the goddess of poetry, medicine, wisdom, strategic warfare, commerce, weaving, and the crafts.
- Molly - Mother of the Weasley children, Molly is a name that has been popular for centuries. It means ‘from the sea’.
- Myrtle - Poor Moaning Myrtle met a sticky end and was left to haunt the bathroom at Hogwarts school. Myrtle is actually an evergreen shrub which has white flowers and bears berries.
FREE Mister Maker Club craft box (worth £6.93)
Latest from eParenting
World Cup Party Ideas for a Football Party That Will Hit the Back of the Net!
Easy DIY Teacher Gifts that Kids Can Make and Teachers Will Love
The 10 Best Family-Friendly Festivals In The UK 2018
- Narcissa - Draco Malfoy’s mother was Narcissa, which is derived from the Greek mythological character Narcissus, who fell in love with his own reflection.
- Neville - Famous for his talent for plant care and for wearing cardigans, Neville Longbottom turned out to be one of the bravest and most heroic students at Hogwarts.
- Newt - Magical Creatures expert Newton Scamander was the author of ''Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them''
- Nymphadora - The name means ‘Gift of the Nymphs’, but its owner preferred to be known as Tonks.
- Padma - A popular Indian name which meants ‘lotus flower’. Padma Patil was another of Harry’s classmates at Hogwarts.
- Remus - Professor Lupin’s first name Remus is an old Roman name, the twin brother of Romulus who founded the city of Rome.
You may also be interested in:-
Literary Baby Names More names inspired by books.
10 Quick Tips For Naming Your Baby
Wild, Wacky and Downright Weird Celebrity Baby Names
- Rita - Scurrilous Daily Prophet journalist Rita Skeeter would do anything to get a story. Rita is short for Margarita.
- Ron - Ronald Weasley was Harry Potter’s best friend from his earliest days at Hogwarts. It is an English name meaning ‘powerful’.
- Rubeus - Hagrid was one of the kindest, if not the most focused of the professors at Hogwarts school.
- Severus - Good Guy or Bad Guy? Severus Snape was a complicated character. The name Severus means stern and is Roman in origin.
- Sirius - Named after the star, Sirius Black was Harry Potter’s godfather. The star Sirius is also known as the Dog Star, and Sirius was able to change himself into a dog.
- Sybill - The eccentric and rather unworldly Professor Trelawney taught Divination at Hogwarts. In Greek it means prophetess.
- Viktor - The Eastern European spelling of the popular name Victor, it means winner. Bulgarian Viktor Krum was an excellent Quidditch player.
Make sure that you have everything you need for your new baby with The Ultimate New Baby Shopping List – Plus The 5 Things You Should NEVER Buy for a Baby.
About eParenting: eParenting was started by Jacqui O'Brien in 2004. At the time her kids were 1 and 4 and kept her nice and busy. Now they are teenagers and still keeping her pretty busy!