30+ Things to Do May Half Term 2018
Image Credit: Ilona
May Half Term week falls on the week which begins with the Spring Bank Holiday (Whitsun Holiday) on Monday 29th May.
School holidays may vary so always double check your children's school holiday dates before booking anything.
Related: Bargain Last Minute Family Breaks for May Half Term
- The Fal River Festival 2018 held in Falmouth, Cornwall runs for 10 days from 25th May to Sunday 3rd June. The 10-day festival includes music and drama, the arts and heritage to gig racing, swimming, walking and lots more.
- Visit Battersea Park Zoo Filled with amazing animals, including: monkeys, snakes, pigs, donkeys, ring-tailed lemurs, rabbits, emu, chipmunks, coati, wallabies and chickens. There is also an adventure playgground. Get a special discounted rate of only £5 per person at Little Bird
- Heading off to the Cinema? Find out what's on at the cinema this May Half Term for Kids.
- The National Trust properties across the UK will be holding events over Half Term, so check out your local venus for events, including lots of way to tick items off your 50 things to do before you're 11 ¾ list.
- EXLON - Art Exhibitions London have a brilliant collection of kids activities for May Half Term - many of London's museums and galleries are running imaginative and fun activities for the May Half Term that involve drawing and painting, stories and performances, designing and crafting workshops. And better still, most of them are FREE! Venues include The Bank of England Museum, British Museum, Geffrye Museum, Horniman Museum, Museum of London, National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery - these museums are all offering a daily programme of activities during the holiday week.
- In Cornwall join a celebration the things that you cannot see at the Eden Project. celebrate the launch of this major new exhibition, Invisible Worlds which will reveal a world beyond your senses – too big, too small, too fast, too slow, too far away in space and time...
- The Bond in Motion exhibition at the London Film Museum in Covent Garden is the official exhibition of original James Bond vehicles that feature on the films. See the archetypal Bond car, the Aston Martin DB5, Goldfinger’s Rolls-Royce Phantom III and the unforgettable Lotus Esprit S1 submersible from The Spy Who Loved Me, alongside less predictable 007 modes of transport such as the Citroën 2CV and the Crocodile Submarine. The exhibit also includes a variety of aircraft, boats and motorcycles. Book Now
- If you are near Henley the River & Rowing Museum have programme of events for half term including craft events based around their Wind in the Willows exhibition.
- Glasgow's National Museum of Rural Life is running a Woolly Weekend on 3 Jun - 4 Jun 2018, with a host of woolly themed activities and crafts at the museum.
- Elmer Day is celebrated on 28th May in 2018, and events will be happening in bookshops and libraries all over the UK throughout half term week, including crafts, storytelling and games.
- Get out and about in the fresh air and (hopefully) sunshine with your pooch (or borrow one for the day!) and try one of the 10 Best Dog Walks in Britain.
- Museums and Art Galleries, all over the UK will be hosting children's events over Half Term. Contact your local one to find out what is going on, as events will take place over local school holidays only. Lots of the events will be free or require only a small charge to cover materials.
Latest from eParenting
The 10 Best Family-Friendly Festivals In The UK 2018
How To Teach Your Child To Tell The Time
These 5 Funniest Parenting Blogs Will Have You Crying With Laughter
- The Geronimo Festival at Arley Hall in Northwich, Cheshire 25th 28th May 2018 is described as 'Glastonbury for Kids'. This year's performers include Justin Fletcher, Mr Bloom, The Bahgdaddies, Clint Boon, Norman Jay MBE, Cook & Line and Junior Frood.Plus sock wrestling, Highland games and the Tigers Children's Motorcycle display team.
- ‘Get, Set, Grow’ at RHS Harlow Carr from 26th May to 3rd June and discover all there is to know about gardening this half term with crafts, stories with green-fingered experts all week.
Download your free printable School Holiday Half Term Planner
- Sealife has attractions across the UK. Every centre gives you a chance to look into the magical world beneath our seas and offers hands-on encounters for all ages with everything from humble shrimps and starfish to seahorses, sharks and stingrays.
- Dinosaurs in the Wild in an exhibition running at the Greenwich Peninsular until 31st July 2018. Depart the 21st Century and be transported back to the Late Cretaceous Period to see living dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus, Alamosaurus and Triceratops with your own eyes. Sort of like Jurassic Park, but much, much safer. Book Now
- English Heritage have exciting events throughout the May half term holiday. Meet Victorian toymakers to learn about their craft, brave a haunted castle to uncover the tales of days gone by, and join pirates for musket drills and smugglers' quests.
- The RAF Museum in Hendon has craft and stry telling events this half term to tie-in with the end of the First World War. Museum admission is free and as the RAF celebrates the 100th anniversary of it's foundation, this is a really good time to get close to so many historic and ground-breaking aircraft without paying an entrance fee.
Related: World War I Printable Puzzles
- Milton Keynes Museum have lots of half term activities planned, along with playing music the way the Victorians did, attending classes in the Victorian schoolroom, making hot buttered toast over the range, brass-rubbing, taking a seat in the stocks, sending morse code and much, much more.
- Still in London, the Discover Children's Story Centre has a host of book-related fun. For half term they have a special Transbook Exhibition. Different children’s authors from Europe take you and your family on a sensory adventure through different materials, textures, cut paper, inks and transparencies with a fantastic exhibition that invites
you to experience books in new and unexpected ways.
- DC Exhibition: Dawn Of Super Heroes is a brand new unique exhibition at the O2 which will feature more than 200 original comic pages, around 300 preparatory sketches and concept artworks for the cinema, together with 45 original costumes, models and props used in the iconic films. Book Now
- In Northern Ireland, the WWT's Castle Espie is having a Teddy Bears Picnic on Bank Holiday Monday. Bring your teddy bear along to Castle Espie for a special picnic in magical woodland sat alongside your favourite bear! Hear stories and even take a craft home with you.
- Make your own Playdough from ingredients that you will already have stored in the kitchen.
- Don't let the kids brains get rusty over half term with our free printable Wordsearches and Anagrams.
- Catch up with the latest New Family DVD Releases this May, including Early Man and Disney Pixar's Coco.
- Try some retro fun and teach the kids to make a pillow fort.
- Make paper planes. Visit Alex's Paper Planes for designs. You could use junk mail or all those notes they send home from school at the end of term for a greener twist on the activity.
- Join Harry Potter and Ron Weasley and learn to play chess. It's a great way to develop thinking and strategy skills, and who knows when you may find yourself in a dungeon under a wizard school looking for a stone.......
- Teach the kids a useful skill that you will have for life with our 7 Tips for Teaching Kids to Knit (or find a crafty friend who can help) then get the kids knitting.
- Catch up on some classic kids books with these 20 Children's Classics that You Can Download for FREE Now. Everything from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Treasure island to Heidi, The Jungle Book and Little Women.
- I can hear the groans from here, but some kids may just have some revision to do.....
The UK's Top Farm Parks To Visit This May Half Term
About eParenting: eParenting was started by Jacqui O'Brien in 2004. At the time her kids were 1 and 4 and kept her nice and busy. Now they are teenagers and still keeping her pretty busy!